Thandai Masala Powder is a spice powder mix used to prepare the quintessential Thandai Sherbet during Holi. Thandai Powder is prepared with a combination of dry fruits, spices, black peppercorns, melon seeds, and fennel seeds. Skip the store-bought masala and prepare this super-easy Thandai Powder Masala at your home this Holi. Hop on to the recipe!
With Holi less than a week away, preparations have started in full swing at my house. Along with an array of sweets, such as Puran Poli and Gujiya, one of the Holi essentials that is prepared at my place is the quintessential Thandai. Summer sets in India with the onset of Holi, and we all know how scorching the heat can get in summers. This Thandai acts as a perfect coolant and refresher during summers.
Although Thandai powder of numerous brands is available in the market, they are nowhere near the homemade Thandai Masala Powder. This masala can be literally made in just 5 minutes and is 10 times better than the store-bought ones. Traditionally, thandai powder is made in a mortar and pestle, but in this fast-paced world, a mixer also works perfectly fine.
To make this Thandai Masala, almonds, cashews, pistachios, melon seeds, poppy seeds, fennel seeds, black peppercorns, cardamom, nutmeg, and sugar are ground in the mixer to a fine powder. This instant thandai masala can be stored up to 1 month in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Check out this recipe for making Thandai sherbet using this homemade Thandai Masala Powder.
Check out the detailed thandai powder recipe and step by step thandai powder recipe with photos below.
Thandai Masala Powder is a spice powder mix used to prepare the quintessential Thandai Sherbet during Holi. Thandai Powder is prepared using a combination of dry fruits, spices, black peppercorns, melon seeds, and fennel seeds.
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds (badam)
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews (kaju)
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios (pista)
- 3 tbsp melon seeds (magaz)
- 15 black peppercorns (kali mirch)
- 10 green cardamom pods (hari elaichi)
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal)
- A pinch of saffron strands (kesar, optional)
- 3 tbsp sugar (or as required)
In a mixer grinder, take almonds, cashews, pistachios, melon seeds, black peppercorns, cardamom pods, poppy seeds, fennel seeds, nutmeg powder, saffron strands, and sugar.
Grind them to a fine powder. You can store this powder up to 1 month in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Step by step Thandai Masala Powder Recipe With Photos
1) In a mixer grinder, take ¼ cup of each chopped almonds, pistachios, and cashews.
2) Then, add 15 black peppercorns, 10 green cardamom pods, 3 tbsp melon seeds, 2 tbsp poppy seeds, 2 tbsp fennel seeds, ½ teaspoon nutmeg powder, a pinch of saffron strands, and 3 tbsp of sugar (or as required).
3) Grind all the ingredients to a fine powder. You can store this powder in an airtight container in the refrigerator for almost a month.
Surely make this super-easy Thandai Masala Powder at your home this Holi.
If you try this recipe, surely let us know! Leave us a comment and rate the recipe. Don’t forget to tag your recipe photos with #theflavourtrip on Instagram.
You can also share and like this recipe on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and Pinterest.